Hair drug testing is one of the most effective forms of drug testing. Unlike urine testing which only can detect drug use within the past 2-3 days, hair drug testing can track a pattern of repetitive drug use for up to 90 days. Therefore, a hair drug test can effectively evaluate long-term patterns of substance abuse, which could be key in helping an employer identify and treat substance abuse issues, as well as safeguarding a workplace.
Hair drug testing has also been found to provide nearly twice the number of positives due to this longer detection window than its well-known counterpart, urine testing. What’s more, it is nearly impossible for test subjects to cheat or evade a hair drug test, even with special shampoos, so hair drug tests are actually most accurate kind of drug test on the market.
Additionally, a hair drug test requires no invasion of privacy that a urine or blood test would incur. In a typical hair test, a certified hair collector cuts 100-120 strands of hair from the crown of the donor’s head, as close to the scalp as possible so only the strands of hair above the scalp are tested.
There are several types of hair drug tests for drug and alcohol use, including:
- 5 Panel Hair Drug Test – tests for cocaine, marijuana, PCP, opiates, or amphetamines, including ecstasy, meth, and molly.
- 5 Panel Hair Drug Test plus Expanded Opiates – tests for pill abuse, including painkillers like Oxycontin.
- 9 Panel Hair Drug Test – tests for nine classes of drugs that may have been consumed in the past 5 to 90 days, including benzodiazepines like xanax or valium.
- 12 Panel Hair Drug Test – tests for abuse of painkillers, street drugs, ecstasy, or prescriptions.
- Hair Alcohol Test – typically ordered by courts following DUI infractions, ex-spouses in custody disputes, clinicians treating alcoholism, and families concerned about underage drinking.
X-celerated Screenings offers a 5-panel hair follicle drug test. For more information on hair drug tests and how to order yours, please visit: www.XDDSInc.com